In working with the Police Safer Neighbourhood Team and Derbyshire Dales District Council, Hathersage Parish Council have installed CCTV and ANPR cameras at key locations in the village. This is to aid in the detection, deterrence and disruption of crime in the village and surrounding area. The Police are frequently advising the Parish Council of crimes that are being committed in the village and in other areas it has been found that the type of system installed in Hathersage does assist in tackling this. While there is clearly a need for this type of system at present the situation will be reviewed annually to determine future need.
Key Points and Information
- The Police can request access to image data under Section 29(3) of the Data Protection Act following the data release request procedure.
- The process of requesting, supplying and retaining images is adhered to as recommended by the Information Commissioners Office (ICO).
- The Parish Council is registered as a Data Controller as required under the Data Protection Act 1998.
- It is a requirement that the presence of CCTV is advertised as being in operation. Signs have been put up on the 3 main routes into the village.
- If you have any complaints to make these should be via the link on the Parish Council website.
The Surveillance Camera Commissioner recommends the use of their Self Assessment Tool for assessing compliance with the 12 Guiding Principles of the surveillance code of practice. We have completed this and arrived at some actions that we need to take. We are still able to deploy a CCTV system while these actions are being completed and will endeavour to complete 75% of these over the next 12 months.
Some useful links: